Instructor, Racquel-María Sapién
This class is designed for both established teachers who may be learning the language as they teach it, as well as for fluent speakers who may be new to teaching. We will examine a variety of approaches and methods of teaching language with a focus on developing learners’ ability to actually communicate in the language. Although many methods were developed originally for teaching majority languages, we will discuss how to best apply them to Indigenous contexts. Major course themes include:
- planning curricula and lessons,
- situating individual lessons within daily and long-term goals for students,
- integrating assessment and learning objectives,
- fostering interaction in the language through specific techniques and activities,
- extending language use beyond the classroom and into homes and communities.